Tuesday, May 28, 2019

May 28, 2019

6 Months

Amigos e Família!

Well, folks, 6 months ago today I was set apart as a missionary, to preach the gospel to these wonderful people of São Paulo!! 6 months!!! When I look back, I think of all the incredible people I have met and will continue to meet. How I have adjusted to another country and to life as a missionary. What a whirlwind experience!! Thank you for all your support and prayers!


This past week we had Zone Conference and Presidente Miller spoke about the interesting use of words when we have hands laid on our heads to receive the Holy Ghost. At the end of the prayer the words are spoken ´´receive the Holy Ghost´´. Elder Bednar explained this in his General conference talk in 2010:
These four words—“Receive the Holy Ghost”—are not a passive pronouncement; rather, they constitute a priesthood injunction—an authoritative admonition to act and not simply to be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:26). The Holy Ghost does not become operative in our lives merely because hands are placed upon our heads and those four important words are spoken. As we receive this ordinance, each of us accepts a sacred and ongoing responsibility to desire, to seek, to work, and to so live that we indeed “receive the Holy Ghost” and its attendant spiritual gifts. “For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift” (D&C 88:33).


I love how he states that it is an ongoing effort, constantly, to be worthy to receive the promptings and guidance of the Holy Ghost. We must always renew our faith in our Savior, read the Book of Mormon, listen to good things, do good works for others, and endure to the end. Presidente Miller also talked about the meaning of `´enduring to the end`´. What does this mean? Well, it can mean endure this moment, endure this hour, endure this day, endure this week, month, year, and so on. When we have an attitude of enduring with faith that this hard moment does and will not be forever, we can continue on the path of righteousness and follow our Redeemer, Jesus Christ. 

I love our Savior! I love this missionary work! I love my family and am grateful for their examples in my life and that we can be together for eternity! (yay baby Penelope!) 

Have a great week!

much love, Sister Giles


photos:
pretty sunset, an açai tree, me with a cow, and a photo with a sweet Sister who finishes her mission this transfer























No comments:

Post a Comment